Are you looking to buy a puppy?
Are you looking to buy a puppy? This is not an easy task. Make sure to do some research and talk to other dog owners before you pick the breed of the dog that you want. Here are some common questions to ask when choosing the right puppy… and the right breeder. Arm yourself with information and buy with confidence!
Questions to ask when choosing a puppy:
- What kind of lifestyle does this breed require?
- What personality traits should I be informed about?
- What grooming requirements are there with this breed?
- What type of exercise does this breed require?
- Are there any common health problems associated with this breed?
- Can I meet the puppy’s mother and father?
- If one of the parents is not available, does the Breeder have pictures available of the parent?
- May I see / visit where the puppies are raised?
- How many litters do you have per year?
- What happens to your retired breeding dogs?
- How many different breeds do you breed?
- What is the average lifespan of the dogs?
- What type of food do you feed your dogs?
- At what age can the puppy go to it’s new home?
- What immunization protocol do you follow for your breeding dogs and your puppies?
- Do the puppies have any type of socialization prior to being sent to their new home?
- Do the puppies have any type of training prior to being sent to their new home?
- Are you affiliated with any breeder associations? Why or why not?
- Do you have references?
- What guarantees do you offer with your puppies?
- Do you require spay/neuter contracts on your pet quality puppies?
- If, for any reason, I am unable to keep the puppy, what is your policy?
Most breeders are more than happy to answer questions related to the purchase of one of their puppies and will be just as concerned about the type of person/household they are releasing one of their puppies to. Remember: It is up to both the Buyer and the Breeder to be comfortable with one another and to ensure that the puppy has been and will be treated properly.dog ,puppy